Did you know?
· 40% of children who are sexually abused are abused by an older or more powerful child.
· 60% of children who are sexually abused are abused by people the family trusts.
· 30% of children who are sexually abused are abused by a family member.
· Adults are the ones who need to prevent, recognize and react responsibly to child sexual abuse.
· Yet, the statistics clearly show that adults aren’t shouldering this responsibility.
Why are we at such a loss when it comes to protecting children from sexual abuse?
Child abuse statistics show that adults do not adequately protect children from child sexual abuse, and the main reason is that they don’t know how. Research suggests that adults are unaware of effective steps they can take to protect their children from sexual abuse.
·We believe that adults just don’t know how.
Think About It
It’s unrealistic to expect a six-year-old, or any age for that matter, to fend off sexual advances from an adult relative. Children often cannot recognize sexual advances for what they are, and have been taught to “mind” adults who are authority figures.
• As adults, we strap babies into car seats, we walk children across busy streets, and we ask teenagers questions about where they are going and who they will be with, all to keep them safe. As adults, we should also be responsible for protecting children from sexual abuse.
• Why, then, are we at such a loss when it comes to protecting children from sexual abuse?
• Child abuse statistics show that the main reason adults do not adequately protect children from child sexual abuse, is that they don’t know how.
• Research suggests that adults are unaware of effective steps they can take to protect their children from sexual abuse.
• Most do not know how to recognize signs of sexual abuse and many do not know what to do when sexual abuse is discovered.
• The Stewards of Children program will help you to understand all these questions and more. What is your child’s safety worth to you?
What is Steward of Children and why did I choose to teach it?
I feel very strongly about going out into my community and helping to educate adults about the Stewards curriculum and How Everyone can play a part in keeping children safe!
• Stewards of Children® has been extensively evaluated and is the only evidence- informed child sexual abuse training program available nationally.
• Darkness to Light’s 2015 Stewards of Children® curriculum has undergone three quasi-experimental studies and a 3-year study using full experimental design (RCT). It has been shown to increase knowledge and positively change child-protective behaviors over time.
• Two further analyses have produced data that suggest that the Stewards of Children® program is effective in increasing educator reporting, which may lead to direct positive outcomes for children.
• The Stewards of Children® curriculum has undergone rigorous review by the US Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP) and the California Evidence-Based Clearinghouse.
• Stewards of Children is the only OJJDP sexual assault/rape Model Program focusing on adult prevention.
• Stewards of Children training is rated by the California Evidence-Based Clearinghouse as a promising practice and is the only rated program that serves the staff and volunteers of schools and other youth-serving organizations.